The Best Weight Gain Supplements
There are only a few weight gain supplements I feel work, most do not!
There are also a few supplements I've taken and wholehearted endorse, but the majority are just slick sales pitches that do not work but are making companies millions of dollars.
You can search for the best weight gain supplements by your individual goals or by the type of product you're looking for.
Some of the weight gain supplements I've taken and feel are worth a try are:
- Protein Powders----Protein is the major nutrient responsible for muscle growth and repair. Weight training athletes require more protein than does a sedentary person. Protein builds muscle. In fact, protein should be the number one nutritional concern for people working out and trying to gain weight.
Some of the protein sources I recommend are whey protein, milk protein, egg, protein, and soy protein. I think whey protein is the best because the body utilizes it better than the other sources.
Some of the brands that I trust for protein are: AST VP2, AST VyoPro, Nature's Best Isopure, Met-Rx Whey Protein, Sportpharma Just-Whey.
- GABA----GABA, or Gamma-Aminobutryic Acid, is a powerful amino acid that is actually classified as a neurotransmitter, which means it helps nerve impulses cross the synapses (gaps) and communicate better. GABA has a great number of positive effects on the nervous system.
GABA stimulates the production of Human Growth Hormone (HGH). It is HGH that has been found in studies to facilitate the metabolism of fats in the body. HGH is also known for its powerful muscle-building effects.
HGH tends to decrease naturally with age, so the older you get, the harder it is to lose fat.
Other studies have shown that GABA increases the body's sleeping cycle and patients reported much more vivid dreams. More energy feelings of vigor are common side effects of supplementing with GABA!
Last, GABA has been shown to be very effective in treating pain associated with arthritis or the lower back. For serious results, studies have found that supplementing between 5 and 18 grams works well. If GABA is being taken for fat loss, it's best to take it about 2 hours before going to bed, since that is when production of HGH is the best. For pain support, GABA can be taken any time and be effective.
I have used and like: AST GABA and Dymatize GABA
- DHEA----DHEA is an acronym for the hormone dehydroepiandrosterone.
It's the most plentiful androgenic hormone produced by the adrenal glands and it is quite important to body builders and athletes because in men, around 50% of all testosterone is derived from it, while women derive over 75% of their estrogen from it and nearly 100% after menopause.
Levels of DHEA are quite high at birth, drop during childhood, and peak during young adulthood. The levels continue to drop throughout life. This hormone is available synthetically as a nutritional supplement.
As a pre-cursor hormone, as it leads to the production of other hormones. It has been shown to help people lose weight, burn fat and build muscle, and increase sex drive.
Dietary supplements of DHEA can help maintain proper levels in the body and can aid a person in their overall well being. University of California, San Francisco researchers found that DHEA levels are lower in people who are depressed, and supplements of 30-90mg per day reportedly improved their state.
I've used AST DHEA, Higher Power DHEA, and Ultimate Nutrition DHEA
- Creatine---Without a doubt, this is one of the best weight gain supplements.
This is a must-use supplement for gaining strength, muscle size, and endurance.
Creatine is a compound that is naturally made in our bodies to supply energy to muscles. We just make very little of it and get very little from whole foods. It is used in the body to produce ATP. Creatine will increase muscle fiber size, strength and overall power. It does this primarily by shuttling water into the muscle cells, forcing the body to hold water intramuscularly (within the muscle), not directly under the skin.
Creatine works and is a very safe weight gain supplement. I would include it as a very inexpensive, very effective tool in your arsenal.
Some of the brands that I trust for creatine are: AST Micronized Creatine, AST Creatine HSC, Nature's Best Creatine, Met-Rx Micronized Creatine, and Sportpharma Creatine.
If you would like a more in-depth look at exactly what creatine is and what it can do for you, I recommend checking out the following creatine guide:
Creatine: A Practical Guide
***End Side Note***
- Glutamine---Glutamine is used by the body to help in the recovery process after strenuous weight training and/or cardio. Glutamine is the most abundant single amino acid in muscle tissue.
The higher the muscle glutamine levels you can maintain, the less chance you have of falling into muscle tissue breakdown.
I have used and like: AST GL3 Micronized Glutamine and Nature's Best Glutamine.
- Meal replacements---Meal replacements are by far the one of the weight gain supplements with the greatest value. We know that we must eat often, about every 3-4 hours, to gain weight.
That's hard to do with whole food, unless you have a personal chef available. They are low in fat and very high in protein. They can be taken anywhere and are very convenient.
I've tried and like: AST Ny-Tro Pro-40, Nature's Best Perfect RX (very inexpensive and tastes good!) Met-Rx (the grandfather of meal replacements) and Lee Labrada Lean Body.
- Protein Bars-----along the same lines as meal replacements, protein bars are convenient and healthy snacks you can eat that will tide you over until you can eat a regular meal. Some are made big enough where they are supposed to take the place of a meal. Very convenient weight gain supplements.
I like Sportpharma Promax bars, Met-Rx Protein Plus Bars, Balance bars, Genisoy, Ironman, Zone, Nature's Best Solid Protein Bars, and EAS Advantage bars.
- Multi Vitamins-----Although not a typical weight gain supplement, taking a vitamin each day, will ensure you a complete spectrum of all the vitamins and minerals your body needs to carry out the many functions your body goes through each day.
- High Calorie Weight Gainers----If you're one of those people who just can't gain weight, try a weight gainer to add extra calories to your daily diet.
Back in the day, weight gainers used to be fairly cheap protein powders loaded with sugar and fat to up the calorie content.
The serving size would be something like 128 oz. and the serving would contain 3000 calories.
Not exactly a practical serving size, and all that sugar kind of went against the idea of eating clean.
Plus, the quality of the protein in the gainer was usually poor. Although many gainers like this still remain on the market, fortunately, the weight gaining supplements industry has come a long way.
Click High Calorie Weight Gainers for more information on weight gain powders.
These are a few of the weight gain supplements I've tried and recommend.
However, remember that there are no weight gain supplements, magic pills or powders that will replace good-old well-balanced nutrition and a lot of hard work.
But if taken properly and often (you can't take it just when you remember to, it needs to be consistent to be effective) I feel weight gain supplements like protein, creatine, meal replacements can allow you to reach your weight gain goals much faster and more effectively than be not taking them.
Click here to get inexpensive weight gain supplements 40-50% off retail prices by ordering discount weight gain supplements directly online.Shawn Lebrun Fitness
18 Whitney Ave
Portland, ME 04102
All information on this site protected by Copyright(c) All Rights Reserved Shawn LeBrun Fitness/Muscle Building Routines To Build Muscle Fast 2002-2005